1 hr 15 mins
Az B's Note:
From Bon Appetit. I haven't tried this one yet. Would be great topped with cilantro, sour cream, grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, chopped red or green onion, and salsa. Look for chorizo in the refridgerated meat or deli case, and for dried ancho chilies at Latin markets, specialty food stores, or some supermarkets
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, torn into pieces (about 5 large)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs beef or 2 lbs pork chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 2 cups coarsly chopped red onions
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 1/4 lbs lamb shoulder, round-bone in chopped trimmed, boned, but into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans yellow hominy, rinsed, drained
- 1Combine broth, ancho chilies, and cayenne pepper in heavy medium sucepan.
- 2Cover and simmer over medium heat until chilis softn, about 12 minutes.
- 3Puree mixture in blender in batches.
- 4Saute chorizo in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until drippings come to a simmer, breaking up meat with back of spoon.
- 5Transfer to fine strainer set over bowl. Let drain for 10 minutes.
- 6Return 3/4 cup chorizo drippings to same pot and heat over medium-high heat. You can disgard any remaining drippings.
- 7Add onions, garlic, oregano, and cumin.
- 8Saute until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add to pot.
- 10Saute until lamb is no longer pink on outside, abut 10 minutes.
- 11Add chili puree and drained chorizo.
- 12Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally.
- 13Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- 14Add hominy. Simmer uncovered until lamb is tender and liquid thickens, stirring occasionallly, about 15 minutes.
- 15Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Lamb and Chorizo Chili
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1035.3
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 265.0 mg
- Sodium 574.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 80.9 g