Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These will be a huge hit at your party! the recipe may be doubled or tripled, you may wrap all the chestnuts hours in advance and refrigerate until ready to bake --- try to purchase the thin sliced bacon for this then slice each strip into three pieces --- I use the Heinz spicy ketchup, if you cannot find the spicy ketchup just add in some cayenne pepper, also try to purchase the thicker long toothpicks :)
Top Review by Shelle76
Try using PINEAPPLE !These are great! I also use pineapple chunks (canned) wrap in bacon the same way,and add your sauce. I usually use homemade bar b que sauce. Its the sweet salty thing that makes these yummy. Enjoy
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, strips sliced in thirds
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 3⁄4 cup spicy ketchup (Heinz spicy ketchup is good to use)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- long toothpick
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat; cook the spicy ketchup with the brown sugar, stirring until no sugar granules remain; set aside (this can be done up to a day in advance).
- Dry each water chestnut using a paper towel.
- Wrap one small slice of bacon tightly around each water chestnut, then secure with a toothpick.
- Place into baking dish.
- Lightly cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or just until the bacon is crispy.
- If desired you may bake uncovered for a couple of minutes just to crisp up the bacon more.
- Remove from oven and drain the fat/grease.
- Drizzle the prepared sauce mixture over each chestnut, return to oven and bake uncovered for about 8-10 minutes more.