1/9 Photos of Spicy Jumbo Shrimps With Old Cape Flavours
A simple shrimp (prawn) recipe with a leaning towards the tandoori style. Use the largest shrimp you can get, and sea-fresh shrimps are always better tasting than farmed shrimp. But if beggars can't be choosers, the spice in this recipe will make any shrimp or prawn taste great! (Edited on 21 Oct 2010)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp, large, peeled, deveined and rinsed (2 lbs or 1 kg is the cleaned weight)
- 1 cup yoghurt, full cream (or Greek yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (lime juice is also great)
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed (use a pestle and mortar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (minced, grated or very finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fresh (peeled, chopped and crushed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, ground
- 2 teaspoons paprika (not hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or use a few drops hot sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1In a large bowl mix the ingredients from the yoghurt, down to the salt. Whisk well. It's best to do this well ahead, and leave this sauce, covered, at room temperature -- the flavours meld and improve a lot.
- 2Place the cleaned shrimps (preferable in one layer) in a large oven dish or tin, and coat the shrimps with the mixture. Keep some of the sauce for later, if there is enough. Shake the dish, so the thickish sauce penetrates to the bottom of the dish.
- 3Marinate the shrimps in the fridge for 1 hour.
- 4To grill over hot coals, skewer the shrimps close together on skewers (soaked in water if using wooden skewers). Grill quickly and carefully only until they curl up and turn pink, using any leftover or extra sauce to brush them with.
- 5Or bake in a 350 deg F/180 deg C oven, brushing once with the rest of the marinade.
- 6Bake only until they turn pink and curl up -- better watch this, as I forgot to time this bit! If they're cold out of the fridge they will take longer -- it's better to take the dish out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking time. (Tonight, cold from the fridge, they took only about 20 mins to cook).
- 7If done in the oven, serve with the juices, over rice. If grilled on skewers, serve with salads and bread.
- 8Be warned that shrimps shrink a lot in cooking, and as a main dish 2 lbs/1 kg will really only serve 4 adults!
- 9You could stretch it by serving it as a starter, on baby mixed greens moistened with vinaigrette. Serve with crusty bread.
- 10Prep time does not include cleaning the shrimps or the marinating time.
Browse Our Top South African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Jumbo Shrimps With Old Cape Flavours
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 485.9 mg
- Sodium 2467.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 54.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: