Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
You may adjust the cayenne to taste, this is very good!
Make and share this Spicy Chicken, Kielbasa and Rice With Red Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (cut into about 1-inch pieces)
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 lb dried kielbasa, sliced (or to taste)
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked converted white rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 2 cups chicken broth (more if needed)
- 2⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons louisianna hot sauce (or to taste, opt)
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed (can use less)
- heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the cubed chicken with seasoning salt and pepper, then brown on all sides; remove to a plate.
- Add in the smoked sausage and brown slightly; remove to the plate with the chicken.
- Add in the onions, garlic, red bell peppers, oregano, paprika and cayenne pepper; saute for about 3 minutes.
- return the chicken and sausage back to the skillet and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in uncooked rice; stir to coat.
- Add in 2 cups chicken broth, tomato sauce and hot sauce (if using) mix to combine and bring to a boil, cover the skillet (or pot).
- reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes (adding in more both if the mixture seems too dry).
- Mix in the peas and cook until heated through (about 2 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
I made the recipe for two but cut down the cayenne and added shrimp as I only had one chicken breast.
We really enjoyed this. I left out the seasoning salt and used low-sodium broth, to try to reduce the high sodium content in this one. I used jasmine rice, as it's all I had, and it seemed to work really well with it. Definitely a keeper!
This was fantastic! It is indeed a bad weather day, and this hit the spot. I did vary a titch from the recipe, but not enough that I feel I shouldn't be reviewing it. I used brown rice, so I needed a lot more broth. Obviously, my cooking time was longer because of this. I also omitted the peppers because DH doesn't like them. I used turkey kielbasa, and forgot about the peas so didn't add them. =) DH loved it so much he went back for seconds (which is saying a lot because he has been diligently counting calories for months now, and it takes a lot to get him back for seconds). This was a great meal for a late winter snow stormy eve.