Yummy Spicy Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 -8 bell peppers (pretty when using both red and green peppers)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (if you don't want it quite as spicy use only 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hersey's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash peppers, cut off tops and remove seeds, cores and membranes.
- Melt butter or margarine in large skillet over medium low heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté over medium low heat, stirring for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add turkey, herbs, chili powder, cocoa powder and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally 10 minutes or until turkey browns. Remove from heat.
- Stir in brown rice, corn, peas and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Pour tomato sauce in bottom of 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Spoon turkey mixture into peppers and place in pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>