Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful Paula Deen recipe. You know us G.R.I.T.S. (Girls Raised In The South) were raised on black eyed peas. This is a wonderful recipe. Serve these over some rice with some cornbread, and I am home again!!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (Rotel works well)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon slices, until crisp.
- Remove the bacon, crumble and set aside to use as a topping for the finished peas.
- Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until tender.
- Add the peas, diced tomatoes with green chiles, salt, chili powder, pepper, and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 45 min to an hour, or until the peas are tender.
- Add additional water, if necessary.
- Serve over rice with the crumbled bacon as a garnish.
My husband usually won't eat black-eyed peas but he said these were good. Made as written. Thanks SkinnyMinnie. Bullwinkle
Fixed thiks today New Years and it was great.