Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bananas with a kick to it. I had this at a friends house it was really quite tasty. Very easy and quick to make.
- 1 onion
- 1 chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups vegetable broth (I used bouillon and water)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 bananas (ripe unblemished)
- 3 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
- Peel and dice onion.
- Clean and dice the chili pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a meium sauce pan and sauté onion and pepper until soft but don’t brown.
- Add orange juice, zest, and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Stir in the ketchup.
- Cover pot bring to boil, low heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add two of the bananas to the soup and puree.
- In a dry frying pan roast the grated coconut, until lightly browned, then let cool slightly on a plate.
- Peel and slice the last banana, coat with the coconut by pressing the banana slices slightly and turning then pressing again.
- In a frying pan heat 1 tbsp oil, then fry the coated banana slices on both sides.
- To serve laddle the soup into bowls then float the fried banana slices on top, sprinkle any left over coconut on top. Can garnish with finely sliced chili pepper rings and fine herbs.
This was tasty! I didn't have any chili pepper and seing as I was only making one serving I added a dash of cayenne pepper instead. My hand kind of slipped as I did so, but it tasted great! Next time I may use tomato sauce or something instead of ketchup...I found it a bit too sweet, but that's my personal preference. Thanks for this unusual yet lovely recipe!