Spiced Vegetable and Banana Soup
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped ripe banana
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.).
- Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!