Top Review by Peter Pan
Exotic and elegant, perfect for my friday night formal dinner. Since this is a contest entry, I did not modify/add/delete anything from the recipe. It was a hit. The Shiitake mushroom relish was delicious and complements the moist and flavorful Salmon. I served mine with steamed jasmin rice. Everyone agreed that it was love at first bite. Thank you for sharing and good luck in the contest.
For The Salmon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Shiitake Relish
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms or 1⁄2 lb oyster mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 chili peppers or 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (and de-seeded if you want a milder dish)
- 4 small tomatoes, preferrably vine-ripened,chopped and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb, finely chopped (I use a parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme mixture but you can adjust to your tastes and what you hav)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine brown sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, lemon rind, cumin and salt in a bowl.
- Splash a bit of lemon juice over each piece of fish and then rub the spice mixture all over the fish.
- Place in a dish and bake for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- While that's cooking you can make the relish.
- In a bowl, toss the mushrooms, tomatoes, chili peppers, garlic, onion, salt and pepper with 2 tablespoons of the oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small pan and fry the mushroom mixture for about five minutes or until cooked through and the tomatoes have softened.
- Put in a bowl, draining off any excess juices, and add the herbs, vinegar and lemon juice to the mushroom mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, before serving alongside the salmon with some basmati rice.