Recipe by Ingy
A fresh chicken salad for the times I need a little Southwest flavor in my Japanese kitchen. This recipe uses ingredients I can easily find in Japan.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
The dressing really makes this salad. The onions were a little draw-back since I could not taste them, like I hadn't added them at all. I did cut down on the sugar in the dressing to 1tbs, don't like too sweet dressings. Otherwise I made it just as stated. On the whole a nice fresh salad with a little zing. Thanks for posting.
- 1 head lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 4 small green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 5 dashes cumin
- 6 dashes chili powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- On a large serving platter or in a large bowl arrange chopped lettuce, peppers, and cucumber.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat and add sliced onions. Liberally salt onions to bring out natural sweetness and help them caramelize.
- Once onions are a nice brown color, remove from heat and place on top of lettuce.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and add diced garlic. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Season chicken with salt, cumin and chili powder and add to pan with garlic.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove from heat to cool.
- Pour drippings and garlic from the pan over the vegetables.
- Shred chicken and top salad with it.
- In a small bowl combine: lemon juice, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, a shake of cumin, a shake of chili powder, salt and pepper. Whisk well.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.