Top Review by Whisper
This was delicious! I didn't have any limes in the house, so I used lemon zest and we loved it. The entire house smelled yummy while it was baking. Thanks, Ellie, for this great recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour.
- Resift flour (flour is sifted twice) with baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Combine next six ingredients (sugar- allspice) in large bowl.
- Beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until light.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with milk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling rack.