Recipe by looneytunesfan
With pretty strawberries, a creamy filling and flaked coconut on top, it takes a little extra care to put together, but the results are well worth it.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- of fresh mint (optional)
- additional sliced strawberry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar; beat in vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix well. With lightly floured hands, press onto a 7-1/2-in. pizza pan; build up edges slightly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges and bottom are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 2 tablespoons of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes without stirring. Pour over crust. Top with strawberries.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coconut until smooth. In another mixing bowl, beat cream on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture. Carefully spread over strawberries. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over topping. Garnish with mint and berries if desired. Chill for at least 4 hours.