1/5 Photos of Spanish Seafood Paella
1 hr 45 mins
Looking for a traditional Spanish recipe? Without doubt, the best-known is going to be the prodigious paella ... that tasty, adaptable, gregarious dish famed throughout Spain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken parts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 lb squid, cleaned, sacs cut into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups short-grain rice (preferably Spanish or Italian)
- 6 cups warm chicken stock
- 1 1/2 lbs small live clams
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1With a heavy cleaver, chop each breast half into 3 pieces and each leg into 4 pieces.
- 2Combine the oil, onion, and garlic in a 12- to 14-inch skillet or paella pan and place over low heat.
- 3When the onion begins to sizzle, increase the heat to medium.
- 4Add the chicken pieces a few at a time and cook until lightly browned, sprinkling them with a little of the salt, pepper and paprika as they cook.
- 5As they brown, move the chicken pieces to the outside of the pan to make room for more in the center.
- 6When all the chicken has lost its raw color, add the squid, peppers, green onion, and the remaining salt, and crumble in the saffron. Stir in the rice, cooking for a minute or so to coat it with the oil.
- 7Add warm stock to within 1 inch of the rim of the pan (not all the stock may be needed).
- 8Arrange the shrimp over the top, and the mussels or clams in a ring around the outside, hinged side down.
- 9Cook at a lively simmer until the rice is just tender, about 20 minutes; scatter the peas over the top halfway through the cooking time.
- 10The paella may seem a little soupy when it first comes off the fire, but the rice will absorb the excess liquid in a few minutes.
- 11Tip:This works well woth boneless, skinless chicken thighs as suggested by YaYa.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Seafood Paella
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 887.3
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 344.9 mg
- Sodium 1820.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 74.1 g