Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a great side dish for fajitas, pork loin or ribs, or grilled chicken. Originally from a friend in Boulder, CO. who, by the way, is a terrific cook! This has become a family favorite and is a wonderful blend of flavors!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice, enough to make 2 1/2 cup liquid when combined with juice from diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, pepper, garlic, and carrots in butter until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté 10 minutes (add additional butter if needed), stirring often.
- Add liquid, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.