Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the recipe that got me to like quinoa! It's really simple and tasty. Toasting the quinoa before cooking, gives it a really rich and nutty flavor. Don't skip that part! This recipe was developed by Sarah Matheny for her cookbook, "Peas and Thank You".
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup organic tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- kosher salt
- pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the quinoa and toast until the grains are slightly golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion, broth, tomato sauce and chili powder and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
This was my first time cooking quinoa. We all liked the texture but I found the flavor to be a bit one note. If I made this again I would saute the onion, add garlic and cumin and reduce the chili powder a bit.