Recipe by Shelbylee
My mom has a similar recipe in an old cook book of hers, but I have added more seasonings and of course, the meat. It is not a fast dish to make, but it is well worth the time it takes. All of this is really to your liking, and if you wish to add more, go ahead. I prefer a more sweet and tangy sauce with lots of flavor. This is great for freezing and makes plenty of left-overs if you have a small family. If you have a large family, probably not.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I have my own recipe for a pasta sauce with Italian sausage, & a chicken chili recipe (both of which I freeze), so I followed your recipe right on down, using the ground beef for a nice change of pace for us! The 2 of us had it over some cheese tortillini this first time, & I froze the rest for later use! Very, very nice tasting & full of flavor! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 16 ounces Italian-style tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste (2)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (2)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef (or any ground meat of your choice)
- 4 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or garlic salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- First, brown meat in cooking pan, and add half of onion powder, 1 tsp oregano, and 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt to meat. Drain fat (leave a little for the sauce) from meat, and put into a large cooking pot. set aside.
- Saute onions and 1 clove of garlic in the olive oil. Cook until they begin to get clear. Add onions and garlic to the meat you have in the pot. Add tomato sauce, paste and diced tomatoes. Add your 4 cups of water and bring to a low boil (bubbling but not violent enough to where you can't add more ingredients). Add remaining ingredients slowly, and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Let this cook covered for 3 hours on low heat, but be sure to check it about every 30-45 minutes and stir. You want to avoid sticking in the pot. Taste every time you check the sauce to make see if you need to add anything else.