Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was trying a new recipe that a friend gave me, but didn't have all of the ingredients on hand. I substituted with items that I had in the pantry, and came up with this soup.
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar medium hot salsa (Pace Picante, recommended)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
- In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients (tomatoes, salsa, chicken broth, water, green onions).
- Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend soup (I use a small hand immersion blender - this step is optional, but how I prepared the soup).
- Add barley, chicken breast and black beans. Simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender.
- Serve Immediately. Can season with salt & pepper, or top or with sour cream or cheddar cheese.
Fabulous!!!!!! I doubled it and substituted 6 cups of veggies (carrots, potato, squash, zucchini and celery) for the barley and minced (ground ) chicken for the chicken breasts and kidney beans for the black beans. Great with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top. As I am getting over a cold I wanted something different to my "usual" soup ans I had everything in my cupboard/fridge. I cannot recommend this one more! Thanks for the outstanding recipe.
This soup took me by surprise! I was not expecting such rich flavors from such a seemingly unassuming set of ingredients! You could knock me over with this soup! I started to come to when I used my immersion blender; that's when I truly stood up and paid attention, then the flavors and texture did all the rest! Thanks, NELady! This is going into my Best of 2009 recipe book! Made for Photo Tag.