Recipe by NELady
I was trying a new recipe that a friend gave me, but didn't have all of the ingredients on hand. I substituted with items that I had in the pantry, and came up with this soup.
Top Review by cookingpompom
Fabulous!!!!!! I doubled it and substituted 6 cups of veggies (carrots, potato, squash, zucchini and celery) for the barley and minced (ground ) chicken for the chicken breasts and kidney beans for the black beans. Great with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top. As I am getting over a cold I wanted something different to my "usual" soup ans I had everything in my cupboard/fridge. I cannot recommend this one more! Thanks for the outstanding recipe.
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar medium hot salsa (Pace Picante, recommended)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients (tomatoes, salsa, chicken broth, water, green onions).
- Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend soup (I use a small hand immersion blender - this step is optional, but how I prepared the soup).
- Add barley, chicken breast and black beans. Simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender.
- Serve Immediately. Can season with salt & pepper, or top or with sour cream or cheddar cheese.