1/1 Photo of Southwestern Chicken Barley Tomato Soup
1 hr 10 mins
I was trying a new recipe that a friend gave me, but didn't have all of the ingredients on hand. I substituted with items that I had in the pantry, and came up with this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar medium hot salsa (Pace Picante, recommended)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2-2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1In a 6-quart saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients (tomatoes, salsa, chicken broth, water, green onions).
- 2Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Blend soup (I use a small hand immersion blender - this step is optional, but how I prepared the soup).
- 4Add barley, chicken breast and black beans. Simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender.
- 5Serve Immediately. Can season with salt & pepper, or top or with sour cream or cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Chicken Barley Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 11
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.6
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 200.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 19.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
medium hot salsa