Winter Tomato Soup
This is yummy, yummy. I always use my hand blender thingy right in the pan, instead of transferring the hot soup to my blender. It's nice to float homemade croutons or basil on the top. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches! I found this years ago in A Taste of Oregon cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs Italian tomatoes (canned)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cream (heavy or half and half)
- In a saucepan melt butter and add olive oil, onion, thyme, basil and salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until onions wilt.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Blend together 5 T of the chicken broth with the flour.
- Add this to the soup, stir, then add rest of broth.
- Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Puree soup in blender.
- Return to heat.
- Add sugar and cream.
- Simmer 5 more minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
WOW! I have been looking for the perfect tomato soup recipe, and have tried many recipes and I have finally found the perfect one. Usually the consistency of the soup is either too think and chunky or too thin...this was a very creamy soup. The canned italian tomatoes really made the difference. Thank you so much! This is a keeper! :)
This soup is so good I could have licked the pot!! I used fat free half-and half in place of the cream and accidentally left out the sugar. I also sprinkled in some red pepper flakes for an extra kick. This soup is delicious and has a wonderful texture. And it is easy, easy to make all in one pot! Thank you for sharing this great recipe.