Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Looking for a meatless meal? This is just what the doctor ordered. Delicious homemade soup your family will enjoy.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup tomato ketchup
- 4 -5 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a stockpot, saute onion, celery, and green pepper in olive oil about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, and thyme.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and ketchup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in chopped cabbage. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is cooked to desired doneness.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve with corn bread or muffins.
We love warm soups and had never made a black-eyed pea soup, so we enjoyed the taste of this one with the good combination of all the flavors included in the soup. I just added 1 small chopped carrot to the onion, celery, green pepper and the 2 minced garlic cloves. I mixed all these ingredients with my hand blender, then added 4 cups of the cabbage and the blaked-eye peas at the end, and simmered for 15 minutes. Good recipe idea Chef, and good
luck in the Dining on a Dollar Contest.
We really enjoyed this tasty, quick and easy to make soup. It made for a great lunch on a very cold winter day. It had a nice flavor, great texture, was well seasoned and the combination of vegetables, herbs and spices was spot on. It was a very comforting and satisfying dish. Really great use of contest ingredients, good luck in the contest.