Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My dad loves to have a good old southern fish/seafood fry. This is the recipe he uses for fried oysters.
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
The flavor of these was good (love the addition of the cayenne), but I had a problem with the coating coming off the oysters. I think maybe my oil wasn't hot enough, so I'm going to try this recipe again making sure the oil is quite hot before adding the oysters.
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 (12 ounce) containersfresh oysters, drained
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, add the first 3 ingredients; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the egg and milk; whisk to combine.
- Dip oysters in egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture.
- Add oil to 2-3 inch depth in a cast-iron dutch oven; heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry oysters in oil until golden, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.