Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe is from that lovable NY "Soup Nazi", Al Yeganeh. "Customer Rules: Pick the soup you want, have your money ready and move to the extreme left after ordering!"
Top Review by kjoeisu
Soup had great flavor. I expected it to be a little thicker as a bisque. I couldn't afford lobster, so I substituted salmon, which worked fine. Next time I will probably add a 6 oz. can tomato paste at step 18. I will also add 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 1 Tbsp water at step 20 to thicken soup more. Again, great flavor.
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) lobsters
- 12 medium raw shrimp in shells
- 24 mussels, well scrubbed
- 12 sea scallops
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup fresh spinach, well rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the white wine, bay leaf, onion, garlic and celery in a large
- stock pot over medium heat. Boil. Add the lobster, cover the pot.
- and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the lobster, set aside and cool.
- Add the shrimps to the boiling broth, cover the pot and steam for
- 5 minutes. Remove the shrimps with tongs, set aside and cool.
- Add the mussels, cover the pot and steam until they open,
- about 5 minutes. Remove the mussels with the tongs,.
- extract the meat and discard the shells.
- Add 2 cups of water to the liquid in the pot, bring to a boil and
- add the scallops. Cover the pot, and steam for 3 minutes.
- Remove the scallops with the tongs.
- Extract the lobster meat, reserving the shells. Peel and devein the
- shrimps, reserving the shells. Chop the meat into bite-size pieces,
- cover and set aside.
- Return the lobster and shrimp shells to the broth and add 2 more
- cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for
- 30 minutes. Strain the broth and return it to the pot. Discard shells.
- Bring the broth to a simmer over low heat. Add the cream, milk and
- herbs and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the seafood and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach and
- carrots and simmer another 2 minutes to just wilt the spinach.
- Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Serve hot.