1/1 Photo of Sopa de Albondigas
This recipe, which I found in an old Sunset cookbook, is the only one I've found that's as good as our favorite little family-owned Mexican restaurant. . .
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup finely snipped cilantro or 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender but not brown.
- 2Stir in water, broth and tomato paste.
- 3Bring to a boil; add potatoes and carrots.
- 4Simmer 5 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile combine egg, cilantro or parsley, salt, oregano and pepper.
- 6Add ground beef and rice and mix well.
- 7Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- 8Add, a few at a time, to the simmering soup.
- 9When all meatballs are added, bring soup back to boiling.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, or until meatballs and vegetables are done.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sopa de Albondigas
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.9
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 801.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 14.8 g