Caldo De Albondigas
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 4 -5 green chili peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 quart beef stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- In a large pot, warm the oil and saute onions over medium low heat.
- Add tomatoes, green chile, 1 quart of beef stock, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the soup over medium low heat for 30 minutes, if soup seems to thick, add some of the additional stock to thin.
- Cut the tortillas into fine silvers and mince.
- In a large bowl, mix the cut tortillas with the ground beef; add the egg, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Shape into tiny meatballs and drop into the pot of soup.
- Continue to cook on medium low until meatballs float to the top.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with fresh cilantro.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
It's Hatch chile season, which only lasts a few weeks, and this was the perfect way to use some. I charred them under the broiler and wrapped in foil until cool enough to handle. The skins peeled off very easily. This batch wasn't very spicy/hot, so I added 2 jalapeno's from the garden. I followed the recipe exactly, and I wouldn't change a thing. The soup was excellent! Made for ZWT 8.