Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Does anyone hate S'Mores? Here's a lunch-bag, picnic, hiking version of an all-time favorite. I found this in "The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion"
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup, maple syrup or 6 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄4 cups mini marshmallows
- In a medium-sized saucepan set over medium heat, melt and stir together the butter, sugar and syrup, cooking until the sugar has dissolved; stir in the oats, flour, salt and graham cracker crumbs.
- Press slightly more than half of the mixture into a lightly greased 9x9-inch pan, let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top, then top with the marshmallows; top with remaining crust mixture.
- Bake the bars for 15-20 minutes; remove from the oven and let them rest for 20 minutes, then cut into squares while still slightly warm.
I make these regularly for my kids who adore them. Whenever they share with a friend I get an urgent phone call from their parents asking for the recipe. Great for school lunches! A few adaptions : honey rather than corn syrup, and substitute 1/3 of the graham crumbs with ground flax....and always, always real butter!
They set up beautifully, make perfect, chewy bars every time....I line my pan with tin foil, then flip the bars out after cooling for -10 minutes, and slice while still soft. Delicious!
I made them vegan with vegan marshmallows and margarine. I had to add water to get them to hold together. Maybe if I had not done the chocolate and marshmallow on one layer and put them throughout they would have held their shape better.
Mine are still in the oven but I did make some changes. I used granola instead of oats and I used rice crispies in place of the cracker crumbs. It still seemed a little runny so I added some oats after to thicken it like rice crispy treats. Then I am letting them kool and baking as it said. Oh I put the entire mixture in the pan and set to cool and then topped with marshmallows and chocolate chips