Healthy Thick Chewy Granola Bars
- Ready In:
- 1 2⁄3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (use more for a sweetness if you want it like store bought bars)
- 1⁄3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 -3 cups dried fruits (* aprox 10 to 15 ounces) or 2 -3 cups nuts (* aprox 10 to 15 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter (I use almond butter) or 1/3 cup another nut butter (I use almond butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted) or 6 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (you can use light corn syrup if you do not have agave)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pre heat oven to 350°F Line an 8"x8"x2" pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper and the exposed pan or coat with a non-stick spray.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and nuts. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter or margarine, liquid sweeteners, water, and nut butter until smooth. Toss the wet incredients witht eh dry until the mixture is evenly curmbly. Spread in the prepared pan, pressing them in firmly.
- Bake the bars for 28-35 minutes, until they're lightly browned on the edges. They will still sem soft and underbaked when you press the centre. Let cool fully before cutting in to squares with the serrated knife. I sometimes put them in the freezer befor cutting so the cut smoothly.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer.
- *My favorite add ins are dried cherries, chocolate chips, pecans and seasme seeds. However you can add dried cranberries, apricots, apples, pears, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, coconut, or any other dried fruit or nuts. I sometimes even add protien powder or dried greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, my husband loves to eat. I guess we are a match made in hevean