Chewy Granola Bars
photo by Bayhill
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package large marshmallows
- 2⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, rice cereal, chocolate chips, coconut, sunflowers, peanuts, raisins, wheat germ, and sesame seeds.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows, peanut butter, butter, corn syrup and vanilla.
- Microwave the marshmallow mixture at 70% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring often until well-blended.
- Quicky stir the dry ingredients in to the marshmallow mixture. You'll have to work quickly as the mix will get gooey fast.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. X 9-in. X 2-in. baking pan. To flatten the granola bars, I spray the BOTTOM of a second baking pan with cooking spray, nest this second pan on top of the pan with the mix and press down hard.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool and cut into 24 bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Two and a half stars. These are peanut butter rice crispie treats, not the healthier granola bar type snack I was looking for. Very sugary with all the marshmallows. Very peanut buttery as well. The only person who ended up eating any of these (after we all sampled them initially) was the peanut butter lover in the house, but even she didn't particularly like them and never finished the pan.
These granola bars are terrific! My kids can go through a 24-count box of the store-bought chewy granola bars in seconds, it seems! These bars get two thumbs up from the kids. I followed the recipe to the letter and even my raisin-hating son loved them. I'm looking forward to experimenting and seeing what other flavour combinations I can come up with. Thank you for this great recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>