Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Delicious slow cooker chili from America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (2.5 tsp pre-minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb dried navy beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced 1/2 in. thick
- 8 ounces andouille sausages, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (Wright's all natural Hickory Seasoning recommended)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- Microwave onions, bell peppers, chili powder, oil, garlic, cumin, and oregano in bowl, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minute Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients except salt, pepper, and scallions. Cover and cook until beans are tender, 9-11 hours on low or 5-7 hours on high.
- Let chili settle for 5 min, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard bay leaves. Transfer 1 Celsius cooked beans to bowl and mash smooth with potato masher. (I don't bother with this.) Stir mashed beans into chili and let sit until heated through, about 5 minute Season with salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.