Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
A hearty black bean soup with a nice smokey flavor. Freezes well.
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- cooking spray
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- lime wedge
- Finely chop chile in adobo sauce.
- Heat a large pot coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute until onion and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chile, cumin, smoked paprika, basil, oregano, chili powder and bay leaves. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add water, beans, broth, tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaves.
- Serve in bowls; top soup with sour cream and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.