Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
I love making soups. My parents really love them, and I love the smell throughout the house while it simmers! It is a cozy, yummy comforting supper 8)
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans (2 cups) or 1 lb great northern bean (2 cups)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (4 14.5 oz cans each, plus 1 cup water)
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 large carrots, chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the beans in a Dutch oven or stock pot. Add water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour, then drain completely.
- Return beans to pot. Add broth, sausage, and the seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- While thats cooking, sauté onions, carrots and celery in the oil.
- Add to soup after 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook at a simmer, covered, 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Skim fat if needed.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Taste for additional seasonings.
- Serve hot and enjoy!