Recipe by mommyoffour
This is very basic. This is my first ever gumbo recipe and we still like it today. It doesn't have the variety of meats like other recipes but I usually have these ingredients on hand.
Top Review by mary134e
This recipe gave me the clues I needed to take off and get the job done! I cooked jasmine brown rice in the microwave instead of the vegetables, because that's how I prefer my rice; browned the sausage (I used smoked turkey sausage, as suggested on another recipe); added the onions; used frozen soup vegetables which include okra and all the veggies listed, and added them when the onions were translucent. I made the roux in a saucepan, adding the spices then the liquid from the tomatoes before I mixed it in with the veggies, tossing to coat. Then I added the tomatoes, and a quart of vegetable broth. Gave it about 10 minutes of boiling for the flavors to meld and served it over rice from the microwave. Served it at my Mardi Gras party. Every one loved it.
- 3⁄4 lb Polish sausage
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups water toa boil in med. sausepan over high heat.
- Meanwhile cut sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Stir rice into boiling water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, place sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme and ground red pepper in large microwavable container.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes; stir.
- Cook 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- While vegetable mixture is cooking, prepare roux.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of dutch oven.
- Cook over high heat without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir flour about 4 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Stir in oil until smooth. (Roux will be thick and chocolate brown).
- Carefully pour vegetable mixture into dutch oven and stir until coated with roux.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Serve gumbo over rice in individual bowls.