Smoked Nutria and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 5 lbs nutria, smoked and cut into serving pieces
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, diced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups green onions, sliced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add flour.
- Using a wire whisk, stir until roux is golden brown, taking care not to scorch (Should black specks appear, discard and begin again).
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté approximately three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
- Add smoked nutria and andouille sausage.
- Sauté in roux approximately fifteen minutes.
- Add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all is incorporated.
- Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer.
- Cook until smoked nutria is tender, adding additional stock to retain volume of liquid.
- Once tender, approximately one hour, add green onions and parsley.
- Season to taste using salt and pepper.
- Cook additional five minutes and serve over cooked rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!