Recipe by Zurie
This recipe comes from local chef Marlene van der Westhuizen's lovely cookbook, "Delectable". I find her recipes, ranging from France to South Africa, simple and practical. This one has tins in the ingredients yet manages to be sophisticated and quick to make. Do double the recipe if you like: this starter soup for 4 is rich so servings are small.
Top Review by IngridH
Very good, and very rich! I was amazed that a can of soup could taste this good. Next time I'll cut back a bit on the sherry, as it was a bit too assertive, but otherwise this was spectacular! Thanks for posting!
- 14 ounces mushroom soup (1 tin, best quality)
- 3 ounces smoked oysters (1 tin, 85 g)
- 1 cup cream, fresh and thick (250 ml)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry (50 ml)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (very finely chopped)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the soup, stirred well, in a saucepan, but do not boil!
- Halve the oysters and add, together with the cream and sherry.
- Stir and heat, and again do not boil.
- Serve in small, warmed soup cups or bowls, and garnish with the parsley and a generous grind of black pepper.
- Serve with slices of brown bread.