Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Roy Yamaguchi.
- 1 whole boneless duck breast
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml shallot, minced
- 1 small maui onion, minced
- 118.29 ml yellow onion, minced
- 118.29 ml choy sum, diced
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- 59.14 ml gai choy, chopped
- 118.29 ml water chestnut, diced
- 0.25 ml red chili pepper flakes
- 236.59 ml shiitake mushroom, diced
- 14.79 ml oyster sauce
- 20 fresh mint leaves
- 59.14 ml fresh basil, julienned
- 14.79 ml sweet chili sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml water
- 20 spring roll wrappers (actually should be Potsticker wrappers)
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml orange zest, garnishment
- 4 sprig fresh oregano, garnishment
- 9.85 ml black sesame seeds, garnishment
- 118.29 ml sake
- 4 plums, sliced
- 236.59 ml sweet chili sauce
- 59.14 ml fresh orange juice
- 59.14 ml water
- 4.92 ml shallot, minced
- 1.23 ml ginger, minced
- 1.23 ml garlic, minced
- Roast the duck breast over wood chips in a smoker for 10 to 15 minutes. (Place a pan of water under the duck to catch the drippings and prevent flare-ups).
- Alternatively, place over wood chips on a low fire in a covered grill for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin and any remaining fat and dice.
- In a wok or large saute pan, heat the canola oil and stir-fry the diced duck meat, garlic, shallot, onions, choy sum, cilantro, gai choy (or kimchee or napa cabbage), water chestnuts, chile flakes, mushrooms, oyster sauce, mint and basil for 5 minutes over high heat until well-combined and cooked through.
- Drain off the liquid into a saucepan and reduce to a syrupy consistency.
- Return the reduced liquid to the duck mixture, add the chile sauce and egg yolk and mix well.
- Mix 1 tablespoon. of the cornstarch and the water together in a small bowl.
- To make the potstickers, lay out the wrappers on a work surface and place a heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of each.
- Moisten the edges of the wrappers with the cornstarch mixture, fold in half and seal the edges.
- Sprinkle with a little cornstarch to prevent them from sticking.
- Heat the 1/4 cup canola oil in a cast-iron skillet or heavy-bottomed saute pan.
- When hot, fry the potstickers over medium-high heat for about 1-1/2 minutes per side or until browned.
- To serve, ladle the Orange-Chile-Plum Sauce onto warm serving plates.
- Place 5 potstickers on each plate in a star shape and garnish with the plum slices from the sauce, if desired, placing 1 slice between each potsticker.
- To garnish, place 1/2 tablespoon of the orange zest and a sprig of oregano in the center of each potsticker "star" and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Orange-Chile-Plum Sauce:.
- Combine all the ingredients except plums in a saucepan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until thickened.
- Strain and return to a clean saucepan.
- Add sliced plums and simmer for 5 minutes over very low heat.
- Strain before serving. (If suitable, the plum slices can be used as garnish).