Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe came from the cookbook...Lazy Day Cookin. We absolutely love it.
- 5 lbs Italian sausage, in casings
- 4 large green peppers, sliced
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Cut sausage into 4 or 5" pieces and brown on all sides in batches in skillet. Saute peppers, onions, and garlic in drippings. Combine tomato puree, sauce, and paste in bowl. Add seasonings and sugar. Layer half of sausage, onions, and peppers in 6qt cooker. Cover with half the tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Cover. Cook on high 1 hour and low 5-6 hours. Serve over pasta or Italian rolls. AWESOME!
I made this for a potluck and everyone loved it!!!
My husband said he wants me to make this all of the
time. Thanks for the great recipe!
I have taken this to work twice now for potlucks and received rave reviews both time. It is delicious and so easy to throw together before going to bed and have it ready to walk out the door with in the morning. The worst part though is listening to my husband complain that the smell made him hungry all night. Poor thing was just hinting that I needed to put some in a container for him to take for lunch...
This dish is fabulous! I was having a football party, didn't know what to make for a large group of people. I made a batch of this sausage and WOW what a hit. It will become a tradition at my house. My husband even took some left overs to work and was the envy of his team! Great job on this!!!