Homemade Bulk Italian Sausage, Chicago Style
After having lived in Chicago for over 25 years, I crave Italian sausage and of course it is not available in Denmark, so I have adapted this recipe from one I found on grouprecipes.com. This is excellent to use on deep dish Chicago style pizzas and it also freezes well.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2⁄3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- Blend together all of the ingredients with the exception of the ground pork until they are thoroughly and uniformly mixed.
- With your clean hands blend the mixture of seasonings into the ground pork until it is well and uniformly blended inches
- Place the sausage in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container so that the flavors can blend before use.
- When I make I usually use 1/3 of it rather quickly on a deep dish pizza and freeze the rest for later use.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I didn't modify the recipe at all (beyond the smallest extra amount of fennel and the fact that my sage came fully ground) and flavor is quite good! Not too salty as a pizza topping which is what I wanted it for. For those wondering whether to precook it or not as a topping I can say it works wonderfully raw on a pizza in small balls. For reference I hear my oven to 500 and cook my pizza on a stone for about 11 and a half minutes with a number of other toppings such as pepperoni, minced onion, and roasted garlic (which is the secret to amazing pizza in my opinion). The basic crust recipe is on the ninja blender website though I add a bunch of garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Anyway, great sausage!Reply