Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I received this from a daily e-column (Everyday Cheapskate) I subscribe to. She'd never given me a bum steer before, so when I tried this I wasn't surprised that we liked it; the truth is we LOVED it! Having made this recipe once, next time I think I will try adding frozen mixed vegetables before adding the soup mix. I used 94% fat-free cream of chicken soup and due to time constraints made pasta to ladle the soup over when I served this. I'll try wild or long-grain rice next time. This is a real keeper and truly delicious!
- Place the chicken, butter, soup, broth and onion in slow cooker. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on high.
- . One hour before serving, open biscuits. Roll each one to be about 1/4-inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch strips.
- Add to the slow cooker, laying on top of chicken and liquid. Overlapping strips of dough will occur.
- Continue cooking until the dough is no longer raw in the center, about 1 hour.
- Note: Dough will not cook into biscuits as you might think. It will become like traditional dumplings.
Whole family liked it!! I added some veggies instead of onions. Added this one to my cookbook. Cheers
Delicious! My boyfriend is french and is kinda picky with food. Especially slow cooker recipes. I made this for him and he loveedddddd it. I added some vegetables that were leftover from Thanksgiving along with cooked Turkey instead of the chicken. The dumplings were the traditional kind which were PERFECT. He kept wanting me to pick out the dumplings for him. Delicious. Definitely making again!
Really great comfort food. Family ate nearly the whole thing in one sitting. Added a bag of baby carrots for a one pot meal. Will be making this again without a doubt.