Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Vegetarian sloppy joes!
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup dry lentils, rinsed & drained
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 8 hamburger buns or 8 French rolls
- In a 3 1/2, 4, or 5-quart crock pot, combine carrot, celery, dry lentils, uncooked brown rice, onion, garlic, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Stir in vegetable broth.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or on high heat for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir in tomato sauce and vinegar, cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
- To serve, spoon mixture onto buns or rolls.
This was ok. A little sweet for my liking. I will try it again, adding some tartness and heat.
I thought these turned out great!
I added some tomato paste with the sauce at the end to make it more sloppy joe-like, but I actually like it best with no tomato sauce or paste at all...then the flavors don't get overrun by tomato and wind up as nothing distinct.