Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My DH and I enjoy comfort food and found it in this recipe taken from Company's Coming Cookbook "Beef Today". Though not overly fond of pasta, hubby asks for seconds when this is served.
- 473.18 ml ziti pasta or 473.18 ml penne pasta, uncooked
- 680.38 g lean ground beef
- 236.59 ml onion (diced)
- 236.59 ml green pepper (diced)
- 14.79 ml prepared mustard
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, packed
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 793.78 g canned stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 212.62 g tomato sauce
- 155.92 g tomato paste
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and keep in cold water.
- Scramble fry the beef in a non-stick skillet for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and green pepper and cook until the beef is browned and the onion is soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients - mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta and spoon into a lightly sprayed 9 x 13 inch pan or a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot.
We liked this for a quick weeknight meal. Thanks!
We loved this! The only change we made was using whole wheat pasta and only one pound of ground turkey. It makes a generous eight servings. The leftovers are amazing. The only change I would make is maybe adding a little bit more pasta. The first time around I ended up with a plate of veggies, meat and sauce. However, the sauce is great and can easily be sopped up with some crusty bread. Thanks!
From a kid-friendly recipe perspective this is a 5 star! My DH was out of town and I catered to the kids likes/dislikes when seeking tonight's recipe. I followed this recipe closely except I used a red pepper rather than green, added a few cloves of garlic, used 2 can's of diced tomatoes, omitted the tomato sauce (out of it!), didn't use the Allspice (out of it too!) , added a can of kidney beans, and didn't bother with baking this dish. Just served it over pasta. Super yummy! My kids ate it up and I really loved it too. I don't think it tasted like any sloppy joe recipe I ever had but it's probably due to my changes. We really loved it. Thanks!