This is a true comfort meal that my family loves. You could also use the mini pierogies.
Make and share this Skillet Pierogies, Kielbasa and Cabbage Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large head cabbage, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) box potato and cheddar pierogies, boiled according to package directions
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (a combination of white and black pepper is good also)
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add cabbage and onion and saute until tender, stirring often and being careful not to burn.
- Add kielbasa and cover with lid, cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Add pierogies and stir gently to mix.
- Season to taste.
Simple and it sure hits the spot. I cut way back on the butter by simmering the cabbage an onion in plain water until soft and then added 2 tsp of a low sat fat margarine along with the sausage. The sausage released enough fat that I could have skipped the margarine altogether. With 4 pirogies each that made a hearty meal that really fits the season. Thanks Lainey.