Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this in an email from America's Test Kitchen, from their new book "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook"
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (ground beef, and 8 ounces ground pork. for spicier flavour increase the amount of red pepper flakes )
- 8 ounces curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths (10)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
- Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a quart measuring cup. Add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the meatloaf mix and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the noodle pieces evenly over the meat. Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes. (The sauce should look watery after 15 minutes of cooking. If dry, add up to 1/4 cup additional water to loosen the sauce.).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles. Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the extra Parmesan separately.
I made this recipe last night in my Ninja multicooker and it was delicious. My family loved it. I followed the recipe, however, I used ground turkey and Italian turkey sausage instead of the meatloaf mix. I also added some bell pepper, a small can of mushrooms and Italian seasoning to it. I cooked it on bake at 300 for about 30 minutes. I added extra water to it so that it wouldn't dry out. At the end I added freshly grated Parmesan and mozzarella and mixed them in. . . added the basil as well.I also mixed in a little bit of the ricotta before I added extra dollops on top. I definitely think this turned out better than the well known name brand found at the store. Will definitely be making this again.
This is a winner!! I love skillet lasagna cuz it's less mess and quicker. Changes: I did use about 1 lb hamburger and 1/3 lb italian sausage cuz that's what I had. Also, used garlic and olive oil diced tomatoes instead of plain. No tomato sauce so 1/4 jar of Ragu w/sauteed garlic and onion. Really, really good. Didn't have the fresh basil. Can't wait to try it w/that! Anything from America's Test Kitchen is worth trying.
Great recipe. It's easy to add some veggies to it as well.