Quick Clam Chowder
photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 55mins
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes (5 medium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/4 t. dried)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- pepper (optional)
- Drain clams, saving juice. Add bottled clam juice to the drained juice to make 5 cups of liquid (add water if short).
- Heat oil over medium and cook onion until it has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Stir the garlic into the oil-onion mixture. Cook about 30 seconds. Stir in flour to coat vegetables. Gradually whisk in the liquid. Stir in the potatoes, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Cook about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in clams, cream and parsley. Turn to a simmer briefly--just to heat everything, not to boil. Remove from heat. Throw out bay leaves. Season with pepper if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!