Throw away your coupons, put the local greaseries to shame! It's easy to make pizza dough at home! Prep time includes rising time.
- Stir together the water, yeast and the sugar.
- Let rest until the yeast foams, about 3 minutes.
- Place 2 1/2-cups of the flour, salt and cornmeal in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Add the yeast mixture and olive oil and stir together to form a sticky dough.
- Remove from bowl and knead, adding the remaining flour a little at a time until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- The longer you knead, the more texture your dough will have.
- Turn the dough into a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with a dry towel and place in a warm, draft free area.
- (I usually stick it in the oven. If your oven is cold, very briefly- about 1 minute- turn to highest temp, then off again, well before placing bowl in oven. Let's not melt any bowls, eh?) Let rise for at least one hour.
- When dough has doubled in bulk, punch back down.
- At this point, add any of the optional ingredients at end of recipe, or as desired.
- Let the dough rise again, until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Or, if there were no extra additions, shape and add toppings.
- Bake at 500°F for about 8 minutes.
- Optional, but worthwhile: fresh herbs (I use basil, oregano and thyme), chopped minced garlic, parmiagiano-reggiano and extra cornmeal for texture.