Missy Wombat's Note:
A Moosewood recipe. I usually make this without the glaze when the kids are requesting chocolate cake and they actually deserve a treat for dessert but I want something that doesn't require too much effort. And its great when you have run out of eggs!
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking tin.
- 3In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
- 4Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
- 5When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
- 6Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool.
- 7If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300°F.
- 8Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
- 9Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Six-Minute Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.1
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 244.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g