Recipe by Missy Wombat
A Moosewood recipe. I usually make this without the glaze when the kids are requesting chocolate cake and they actually deserve a treat for dessert but I want something that doesn't require too much effort. And its great when you have run out of eggs!
Top Review by MarthaStewartWanabe
What a great recipe for those with egg & milk allergies! One of my friends recommended it, and boy, am I glad she did! I used it to make chocolate and vanilla cupcakes (just replace cocoa powder with flour), and they came out wonderfully. They are moist inside and bounce back nicely when lightly pressed on top. I made these because one of my son's friends has a milk allergy, and I didn't want the little guy to feel left out when the rest of the group ate their cupcakes at my son's birthday party. Thanks so much for posting! This recipe will also come in handy when baking for my brother-in-law, who has a severe egg allergy. Note: I did not use the glaze recipe, but it looks yummy as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb bittersweet chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup hot water or 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking tin.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix the oil, water or coffee and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking tin and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk.
- When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. Pale swirls will occur where the vinegar and baking soda react. Stir just until the vinegar is even distributed throughout the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Set aside the cake to cool.
- If you are making the glaze, reset the oven to 300°F.
- Melt the chocolate in small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and vanilla into the chocolate until smooth.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.