Pineapple & Marzipan Cake (Ananas-Marzipankuchen)
I got this recipe of my auntie, who always brings this round when she feels people need or deserve a little treat. It's really simple and quite quick to do, but it makes a really yummy and moist cake. If you can't get vanilla sugar, you can use 1 tsp vanilla essence instead, or you can make your own by putting about an inch of a vanilla pod in a screw top jar with 1/2 cup of sugar and leave it for a couple of days (the rest will keep).
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 200 g marzipan, cut into smallish cubes
- 175 g butter, softened
- 175 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300 g plain flour, sieved
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (425 g) can pineapple chunks, drained
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
- Mix butter, eggs, vanilla sugar and sugar in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Add the marzipan and continue to stir until smooth.
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder and slowly add little by little, stirring until you have a smooth dough.
- Add the pineapple chunks and stir into the dough.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes, if you feel it is getting too dark, cover with foil.
- Depending on your oven and the size of your loaf pan it may take longer than 65 minutes, but not to worry.
- Check for doneness by inserting a wooden skewer, if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- If you want you can cover with ganache, but it's great without.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was amazing! I LoVe marzipan and when I came across this looking for something different to make it was a no brainer to try. My loaf pan was a bit too small and it overflowed, so it wouldn't come out nicely. I made a tiny loaf and that one worked perfectly. Mine took about 50 mins. to bake. I think this is because I guesstimate the amount of pineapple as I only had sliced and popped it into the food processor briefly. Also, my butter was too soft. I will make this again as cakelets as soon as I can. Three picky children, aged 4 to 7, all loved it and THAT is high praise to me.
So, I did a lot wrong with this recipe... for example, I could not find Marzipan at the store, or Almond paste to make some.. so I substituted with about 1 tsp of Almond Extract.. Im sure it did not do the originaly recipe justice.. I also used crushed pineapple rather than chunked.. regardless, Everyone loved the cake! Thank you!