A delicious, easy to prepare, and healthful soup based upon a recipe from Fred Wix, who is also known as the Gabby Gourmet.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top sirloin steaks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute beef, onion, and celery in olive oil for 2-3 minutes; add carrots and garlic; saute another 1-2 minutes until beef is just cooked.
- Combine beef mixture, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and herbs in stockpot; simmer for 20 minutes or until flavors are blended and all vegetables are tender; add pasta and heat through; add salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste; serve topped with fresh grated parmesan cheese ~ and as the Gabby Gourmet always says, Enjoy!
- NOTE: 8 ounce uncooked penne pasta is 2 1/2 cups.