Recipe by draitz
My favorite potato salad--my mother's recipe. I think you will like it too. Different from any other recipes I have seen.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes, as you would for mashed potatoes.
- Boil until tender, able to crush with a fork.
- Set aside potatoes, don't drain yet.
- Cut lemons in half and ream juice removing seeds.
- Pour juice into 2 cup measuring cup.
- Add cornstarch, sugar, egg, milk and mustard.
- Pour into a sauce pan and stir over medium heat. Don't allow mixture to boil. The goal is a smooth liquid that will thicken as you continue to stir mixture.
- As mixture is thickening, fry the bacon as you would for breakfast. When done remove and cut into 1 inch or so strips.
- Sauté onions and celery till tender.
- Drain potatoes and pour into a large bowl. Add bacon and pour in the thicken sauce. Mix to completely covered.
- This works well with ribs, chicken or ham. Enjoy.