Recipe by annlouise
I am only posting such a simple recipe because I actually somehow lived 29 years of life before my husband introduced me to the Tomato Sandwich. If you've only used tomatoes as an accessory in your sandwiches, and not as the Featured Ingredient, you are truly missing summer as it was meant to be tasted. Note: after many years, I have solidly converted to mayo for this sandwich, with fresh ground black pepper too. (Oct 2012)
Top Review by SilverOpera
There needs to be a 10-star rating, because this is just about the most delicious thing I've ever shoved in my face. Hellman's mayo and some salt and pepper and this is just heaven. IMHO, there's no need to toast the bread, and the whiter and more refined, the better.
- 2 slice bread (homemade strongly recommended, cracked wheat is my specific favorite)
- 1 medium organic tomatoes (room temperature or fresh from the stalk, do NOT attempt this with pale, store-bought types!) or 1 medium garden tomatoes (room temperature or fresh from the stalk, do NOT attempt this with pale, store-bought types!)
- 44.37 ml Miracle Whip or 44.37 ml mayonnaise
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast bread.
- Slice tomato.
- When bread is adequately toasted, liberally spread both sides with Miracle Whip (or butter one side with Miracle Whip on the other).
- Lay tomato slices on one side of bread.
- Salt tomato to taste.
- Slap that baby together and savor summer at its best!