Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an easy tasty barbecue sauce made with ingredients you probably have on hand. From the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2-1 small onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- In a small saucepan, cook onion in oil till tender - a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Can be used to baste any type of meat you might want to grill or broil.
Just made it it's pretty yummy I added liquid mustard it tastes pretty good not really spicy but just enough :)
Very good. I only used one tablespoon of oil to cook the onions and I added some red pepper flakes - because we like a little spicier, and simmered for 25 min. Also I only had Red Wine vinegar. Next time might add a bit of garlic, but overall this turned out really, really well. This sauce is the perfect consistency for me, and is wonderful just the way it is - but can well be adapted to any taste.
Loved it made as directed, although after reading Chef Sandra B's review, substituting apple cider vinegar and simmering at least 1/2 hour sounds worth a try. What's so great about this recipe is that it's good as is -- or as a base for whatever your tastes desire! Thanks, Pattikay! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap #16.