Julia's Famous Spicy Barbecue Sauce
photo by Julia Lynn
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place everything else in the pan stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 30 minutes, or until thick.
- You may use it right away or cool it and refrigerate for later use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Just a college student trying to feed myself right! If I do say so myself, I might be catching up to my mom. She makes such WONDERFUL food but never ever wrote a recipe in her life. Growing up.. mom worked so hard (still does) and just didnt have time to show me how to cook. So I try to find recipes to recreate what I remember loving when I lived with them. I call her to ask how to make something and she says "well you know some of this, a little of that.." Oh mommmmm. :) She now frequently gives me the cooking reigns and I am honored. Would NOT be possible without all of the fantastic recipes on RecipeZaar! I attend UNCW here in Wilmington, NC. I hope to teach 5th grade one day soon! Cooking is so much fun to me I could spend hours looking for new recipes My boyfriend supports my habit as well, haha. I wish I had more recipes to post that are original but as I said before.. I don't have very many. I am trying to experiment and come up with my own "style." I have gotten to be an expert grocery shopper! It's probably in my top 3 favorite things to do! Hah! <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">