1/1 Photo of Simple Slow Cooker Potato Soup
8 hrs 25 mins
Searching through some of the marvelous slow cooker Potato Soup / Chowder recipes here, I had three criteria: to used up the potatoes from our CSA share, use ingredients I had on hand, and appeal to my wife and me. Starting with stacylu's Crock-Pot Potato Chowder (http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-potato-chowder-50144) as a base, then using a few of Battle in Seattle's Baked Potato Soup (http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-potato-soup-289260) seasoning sensibilities, I revised quantities and worked out a flavor profile to suit us. Here is my final product which I call Simple Slow Cooker Potato Soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -18 yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 3/4-1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed low-sodium cream of celery soup
- 2 1/2-3 slices turkey bacon, uncured, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -5 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1Spray the slow cooker, at least 4 quarts in size, with non-stick spray.
- 2Place all the ingredients, except the cream cheese, into the slow cooker.
- 3Mix thoroughly before starting the slow cooker.
- 4Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours.
- 5Blend the final product. (I use a hand blender.).
- 6Fold in the cream cheese just before serving.
- 7Note: I did not peel the potatoes, liking the nutrition of the skin, not minding the darker flecks in the soup.
- 8Note: I add no salt, since there was plenty of sodium from the condensed soup, broth, and turkey bacon, even with the low sodium varieties.
- 9Note: I did not prepare the turkey bacon except to dice it, and I used UNCURED because that is how the turkey bacon we get at our supermarket comes.
- 10Note: 12 potatoes makes a much thinner soup whereas 18 makes a stew with a mashed potato-like consistency.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.5 mg
- Sodium 110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth
condensed low-sodium cream of celery soup